Preventing And Dealing With Gas Leaks At Home

Incidents, related to gas leaks, cause numerous deaths and even more injuries every year. It is therefore of vital importance to be able to detect the presence of a gas leak, which could potentially lead to a disaster. Let’s take a look at how and why gas leaks happen and what we can do to prevent them.

How Do Gas Leaks Occur?

Gas leaks are usually caused by faulty appliances or bad maintenance. A bad fitting is enough to cause gas to escape, that is why any appliances should be serviced and maintained by a licensed Gas Safe engineer. This is especially true if they are older, because they are more prone to causing issues, so proper maintenance is a must.

If you are moving to a new house or renting a place where there are second-hand appliances, leak checks are the most important first step to perform. You can find out what these steps are here. Fortunately, there are telltale signs which can give away the presence of a leak.

What If A Gas Leak Goes Undetected?

Undetected natural gas leaks result in fires or even explosions. Statistics show that one in six homes has at least one potentially unsafe gas appliance. If issues are not detected and fixed, the likelihood for fires, carbon monoxide poisoning and even explosion to take place increases exponentially as time goes by.

So what are the measures you need to take in order to prevent that? Well, the most obvious one is the smell of gas, which calls for immediate action.

Detecting A Leak

If you can smell gas in your house, this is the absolute telltale sign that there is a leak going on. If it is a carbon monoxide leak, however, there are additional symptoms you will be suffering from and which require immediate action.

Feeling sick, dizzy or lightheaded are an indicator that you have been inhaling carbon monoxide. If you leave the closed space immediately and start feeling better in the fresh air, you are definitely dealing with the deadly gas substance.

Other ways to tell there is a problem when the smell of gas is absent is by looking at the appliances. A blue flame, instead of orange and the accumulation of soot or any scorched areas around them are enough to confirm the suspicion. A musty smell in the room or excessive collection of liquid on the windows are other things to watch out for.

Immediate Measures

So what are the immediate measures you need to take in order to prevent a disaster or tragedy that’s about to happen? The first one is to locate the gas switch and turn off the gas supply. Since it can be difficult to find or turn the gas valve off, you must absolutely familiarize yourself with how this is done in advance. That is, when you first move in to a new property or after major repair or layout work has been done around the house. This will enable you to act promptly when necessary.

The next thing to to after the supply of gas has been cut off is to get it out of the premises by opening all windows and doors and allowing clean air in in order to disperse it. Proper air flow is life-saving, especially if you are already suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms. If windows are locked or you can’t seem to be able to open them for any other reason, leave the closed space as soon as possible and go outside in the open air.

And even if you do succeed to get some fresh air in, do not switch or turn on any appliances, because a single spark is enough to trigger an explosion. Even the doorbell or a light switch can create that. Needless to say, smoking is out of the question too.

After you take the first steps and insure your immediate safety, it is time to call the experts such as this company that handles gas leak in Houston to deal with the rest of the measures that need to be undertaken. Also, keep the National Gas Emergency number handy where you can see it and use it, in case you need to.

When it comes to possible gas leaks, you should always be informed and prepared to act. The best measure is always prevention, however, so make sure you frequently have your house gas system and appliances checked by an accredited professional, who knows what they are doing. Because safety comes first.