Water Damage Requires Emergency Repair

Along with fire, water is one of the most damaging elements for your home. It is not always easy to see when water has seeped into your walls, ceiling and floors, but once it does, it can not only undermine the structure of your house but also of your health.

Stages of Water

There are three main stages of water. White water is potable and is the water you drink and use for cooking. Gray water is contaminated water that is eliminated from your shower, garden, washing machine, dishwasher, kitchen and bathroom sinks. Black water is severely contaminated with sewage or animal feces. Even the purest water can change to black water in as little as 48 hours if it comes into contact with floors, ceilings and walls where fungus, mold spores and bacteria live.

The Health Hazard

When spots of dampness in your walls, attic, ceiling, carpet or other areas in your home remain for days or weeks, they begin to grow mold and mildew. Once mold starts to grow, it gives off spores that may be circulated throughout your home through the air conditioning and heating vents. These spores can cause respiratory problems and may be a greater health hazard for people with allergies or asthma. In some cases, you may not realize that mold is the cause of breathing problems, congestion, sneezing and coughing because it is not evident.

Mold May Not Be Obvious

There are warning signs that mold is present, but the signs begin to show weeks or months after the dampness has formed. If you see stains on your ceiling or walls, damp patches on carpets, peeling or bubbling paint, there is a good chance you have mold growing out of sight. Sometimes you may experience a musty odor and not be aware of its origin.

When you have a burst pipe or overflowing toilet it is obvious you need a plumber, but you may not realize the water damage that can develop from just a tiny drip in the wrong place. The most common places where mold develops are in basements, attics, under kitchen and bathroom sinks, around windows and in crawl spaces.

Mold Remediation

Fortunately, professional property restores can remove mold completely. It is not a job that is recommended to do yourself. Dousing the area with bleach will not kill all the mold, and the area needs to be professionally dried, so the spores will not grow again.

Professionals also have tools and machines that can detect mold in places that cannot be viewed. To maintain a healthy environment in your home, it is recommended to have it checked by a professional at least once a year and more often if there are damp spots.